H.O.T. Clay Meeting, February 17, 2017
Meeting called by: Ariel Bowman
Note-taker: Lydia Knowles
- Reitz Union Hatchery
- Art Bash
- Spring Sale Dates
- UF Arts Day Event
- Access Art
- NCECA gators
Next meeting: March 17th, 2017
Reitz Union Hatchery:
- Gator Hatchery – student incubator seeking work from H.O.T. Clay members
- Located in the Reitz Union and open from 12pm-6pm Monday-Friday, and select nights like Gator Nights
- Reitz Union Hatchery takes 20% commission
- Only students or faculty are eligible to sell work
- Fill out a product vendor form. Name and information and H.O.T. Clay information will be on cards for pieces.
- To give an idea of a good price point, the highest price of items they currently sell is $35
- February 24th, 5pm-9pm
- O.T. Sale – set-up by 4pm. Sarah is leading set-up
- Raku firing. Raku glazes will be available for usage
- Throwing demo. There will be 1-hour slots for throwing. People needed for set-up and take-down
- Student work will be showcased. Please sign-up for 2-hour slots for monitoring. Volunteer sheet for throwing demo and room monitoring was passed around and is on the H.O.T. Clay board.
- FACC Juried Student Exhibition Opening 5:30-8:30pm. Awards announced at 7pm
Spring Sale Dates:
- Location: Reitz Union
- Vote on Dates: Tues/Wed. April 3rd and 4th OR Tues/Wed March 28th and 29th
- Lydia makes motion for April 3rd and 4th. Stephanie seconds the notion. Ailynda requests discussion: Ailynda says that all of the advanced class will be working to install the senior show. Ariel says that the undergrads can mostly handle Tuesday and grads can mostly handle Wednesday. Vote: 13 in favor of 3rd and 4th. Opposed: 1. Abstaining: 1. Motion passes, sale will be held on April 3rd and 4th.
- Addendum after meeting: location is not available on April 3rd and 4th, so the club reserved the spot for March 28th and 29th.
- We received 99 individual applications
- Jurors are currently reviewing entries
- Notifications will be sent out on February 20th.
- Installation begins March 15th – volunteers needed
- Opening is March 21st, reception is March 30th, 5:30pm-7:30pm.
UF Arts Day:
- Proposed by Rachel Stern COTA Senator in student government
- Wednesday, March 29th at the Rion Ballroom in the Reitz Union at 7pm
- Designed to display work/present demonstrations in order to increase student awareness and interest in organization within the arts
- Possible opportunity to recruit students into ceramics classes, majors/minor, etc.
- Possible events — throwing demonstration? Hand-building? H.O.T. Clay PowerPoint and mailing list sign-up, gator pins, advertising for spring sale
Access Art at the Harn:
- Touch tour offers people with and without visual impairments the opportunity to experience art through one-on-one conversation and senses other than sight
- Call to artists PDF: http://harn.ufl.edu/linkedfiles/access-art-call-to-artists-2017.pdf
- Deadline to apply: March 3rd
- Event Date: Saturday March 25th, 11am-2pm
NCECA Portland March 22nd-25th:
- Make gators! Stamp with UF ceramics on the front
- Sheet passed around to indicate NCECA attendance. Must be an active member to receive funds for trip
- Put greenware gators on to-be-bisqued cart
- Izzy volunteered to design cards to leave out to invite people to our table at NCECA
- Alumni party at Spirit of 77, close to the convention center. Thursday, 5pm-7pm
- Possible future H.O.T. clay t-shirt design in the works. We will be bringing the rest of the Arbuckle shirts to NCECA to sell
Door Prize: Janet
Next Meeting: March 17th