H.O.T. Clay Meeting, January 27th, 2017
Meeting called by: Ariel Bowman
Note-taker: Lydia Knowles
- Welcome Back Nan!
- Agendas for future meeting dates
- Surface Decoration Lecture: Linda Arbuckle
- Surprise Visiting Lecturer: Adam Field
- Spring Visiting Artist: Sam Harvey
- Art Bash and Student Juried Exhibition
- Currents Exhibition
- NCECA and Alumni Reunion
- Reitz Hatchery Store
- Spring Sale
Next meeting: February 3rd, 2017
Primary Agendas for Spring Semester Meeting Dates:
- February 3rd – Short meeting for volunteer sign-up
- February 17th – Discuss H.O.T. Officer positions
- March 17th
- March 31st – Vote on officers
- April 14th – Vote on sculpture visiting artist for spring 2018
Design and Pottery Surface Lecture with Linda Arbuckle:
- Image presentation and discussion regarding ideas about design and ways to consider the visual organization of pottery surfaces
- Friday, January 27th, 4:00pm, FAC 102
Surprise Visiting Lecturer: Adam Field
- Lecture: February 3rd, 5:00-6:00pm, FAC 201
- Studio visits with advanced and grads throughout the day
Spring Visiting Artist: Sam Harvey
- Workshop: Wednesday, February 8th, 9:00am-4:00pm, FAC B14
- Lecture: 6:00pm, FAC 201
- Workshop: Thursday, February 9th, 9:00am-11:30am, FAC B14
- Studio visits TBD
- February 24th, 5:00-9:00pm
- O.T. Sale: In the FAC Salon where the Fridge will also be. We will be acting separate from the Fridge, with our own commission.
- Raku firing: In the courtyard. Priority for items for raku-fire belongs to the wheel-throwing classes. Work made to raku fire must not be too fancy or sculptural. Raku glazes will be provided for those who wish to use them. Interest sign-up sheets will be passed around in forthcoming meetings.
- Student work will be displayed in classrooms. Two people will monitor each classroom for two-hour shifts at a time.
- FACC Juried Student Exhibition opening is also that night, 5:30-8:30pm. Congratulations to those accepted!
- Sign-up sheets for Art Bash will be passed around at February 17th
Currents Exhibition: Perception: Color and Content
- Co-jurors Linda Lopez and Katie Parker
- March 21st-April 19th in the Gary R. Libby Gallery
- Work submitted must be at least 10% clay. The show’s title is broad to make the show as open as possible: consider how color contributes to content.
- Apply now! Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Entry deadline is February 10th
- Portland, March 22nd-25th
- We will need people to man the UF Ceramics table
- Closer to the date we will pass around a sheet for people to indicate that they will be attending
- 10 people indicated interest during meeting
- H.O.T. Clay will donate $350 to the alumni reunion party
- Ryan is team leader for making the gators. Start pressing gators. Ryan will talk to Derek about a cart in the kiln room to put gators on
- Janet and Sarah have been reclaiming clay for members to use to make items for NCECA and/or the spring sale. Right now the clay is in B20.
Reitz Retail Gator Hatchery:
- A retail incubator that offers student entrepreneurs the opportunity to showcase and sell innovative and unique products – made at UF.
- Participation will be by an individual basis. Submit work for sale opening on February 10th to: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Director said that she would be willing to come to H.O.T. Clay to further explain.
Spring Sale Dates:
- Location: Reitz Union, because we still don’t know when the construction will end in Plaza of the Americas and we need to guarantee a location.
- Possible dates: Tuesday and Wednesday, April 4th and 5th? We will determine the date in future meetings.
Door Prize: Allison
Next Meeting: February 3rd