H.O.T.Clay Meeting, October 2, 2015
Meeting called by: Paige Ward
Note Taker: Senta Achée
- Member Survey
- Visiting Artist Nomination
- Charlie Cummings Silk Screen Demo
- Visiting Artist Reminder: Julia Galloway
- Art Bash
- Raku Firing: materials and deadlines
- Fall Sale
- Poster Design
- Pop-up Culture
- “Into the Fold”
We have a FACEBOOK page: H.O.T.Clay
We have an INSTAGRAM account: #ufhotclay
- Please fill out your member surveys! On occasion we need extra help. This survey helps us get to know a little bit more about you and the jobs you may be great for!
- Email Ailynda with your visiting artists nominations at: Ailynda@uful.edu.
- There is clay available for the Raku Firing in the clay cage! The sign out sheet for the clay is located on the H.O.T. Clay board in the hallway.
- Fall Sale poster volunteer sign-up!
- Volunteer sign-up sheet for Make-A-Thon clay is located on the H.O.T. Clay board, please sign-up and start reclaiming!
- Go rent a cup from the Mug Library!
Next meeting: October 16th, See you there!
Nominations for the Fall 2016 Visiting Artist:
- This is for the Vessel Artist nomination
- Suggestions due October 14th
- Voting will take place on October 16th
- Ailynda will collect the nominations: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How is it done?
- You may nominate up to three artists. Be sure to include up to three images of their work in your email submission.
- Be prepared to defend your submission. You must present your submissions in front of the members.
- Think about artists who are already established in the ceramic/art community.
- Some things to consider: Does this artist usually give workshops? Consider their studio practice, gender, and age.
– It is important to consider bringing in artists that are at different stages within their careers. It is helpful if you have some inside information on how well the artists present at workshops and how giving they are during these workshops. Consider what you expect in exchange for our compensation.
– If your artist is chosen you will be the liaison for that artist!
- We will vote for these artists during our next meeting: October 16th, 2015
Charlie Cummings Visiting Artist, Silk Screen Demo:
Charlie Cummings received his MFA from the University of Florida. During his tenure there, he developed a technique using silk-screens to put images with under glaze color onto wet tile.
- Date: October 16th, 9-11am
- Coffee and Bagels will be provided
- This event is open to the public
- Thank you to Mariana Baquero and Samantha Mendez for volunteering to provide the coffee and bagels!
- Charlie Cummings is the owner of the Charlie Cummings gallery located at: 2040 NW 6th, Gainesville, FL 32609 – Their most recent exhibition, Cup: The Intimate Object XI, is available for online viewing at: http://www.charliecummingsgallery.com/
Visiting Artist Julia Galloway Reminder: November 4th & 5th
The event takes place all day: First Day: Breakfast: 8:30am. Demo: 9-4pm. Potluck: 12-1pm. Lecture in the evening.
Second Day: Demo in the morning. Artist studio visits and critiques are in the afternoon.
The official schedule will be posted closer to date.
Specifics will be determined at our next meeting.
Art Bash: Change of Date: October 30th! 5-8pm
H.O.T. sale at Art Bash
- Sign-up sheets will soon be available on the H.O.T. Clay board located in the hallway.
- If you sign-up you must be present during sale, set-up, and break down.
- Everyone is free to participate.
- 50% of profits go to H.O.T. Clay, the other 50% goes to artist.
- Art Bash is open to the public!
- System of labeling and specifics of sale will be discussed closer to Art Bash date.
- Volunteer sign-up sheet for making sign/handbill/poster will be available on the H.O.T. Clay board located in the hallway.
- RAKU firing has been APPROVED!
- There is a sign-out sheet for clay on the H.O.T. Clay board located in the hallway. Derek has donated clay this clay to our members in order to provide us with every opportunity to make some work! Please be honest. This clay is for our RAKU firing only, not for personal work.
- The clay is located in B12
- Resolute clay is also available and will work in the RAKU firing.
- Nans sculpture clay may NOT be used.
- Please keep RAKU items small, this increases the level of a successful firing and leaves more room in the kiln. Keep your objects at a contained size and lightweight! Remember we have to lift the kiln off the embers!
- The firing will be 4 hours long; this is about one firing per hour.
- Each firing can fit approx. 20 pieces maximum!
- Have your objects ready and glazed by Thursday, October 29th.
- Remember that RAKU is a low firing process where the clay body remains porous, which can lead to bacterial developments. Along with this, the RAKU glazes have a high metal content, therefore all work is NOT food safe!
- Your objects must be bisque fired by October 28th! There is a designated cart in the kiln room which you may use for your finished, ready to fire, work.
- Samples of RAKU glazes are available! See Paige!
H.O.T. Clay Fall Sale: November 18th & 19th, Located in the Plaza of the Americas
- Begin working on items to sell, everyone!
Fall Sale Poster:
- Sign up sheet for volunteers who would like to make our Fall Sale poster will be located on the H.O.T. Clay board in the hallway!
- It is recommend that the imagery on the poster should include pots that will be available at the sale.
- The poster must be made by October 16th – it will be voted on during this meeting.
- There will be a sign-up sheet for volunteers who would like to be apart of a publicity team available during our next meeting on October 16th.
- Volunteers who have sign up to reclaim clay may begin to reclaim it!
- Please have the clay bagged and ready to be used by Oct. 12
- This clay is given out in full faith that it will be used ONLY for our Fall Sale.
Pop-Up-Culture: No one sign-up.
“Into the Fold”: Lecture by Bridget Fairbank, Mariana Baquero, and Paige Ward
- Join our ceramic MFAs at the Harn Museum, this Sunday, October 4th at 3pm in the Asian wing for a discussion on the current state of ceramics.
- Check a mug out for a week
- Mug submissions: email Bridget
- 19 mugs total as of now
- Special Collection for library
- Tell your friends and family!
Door prize goes to: Stephanie!