H.O.T.Clay Meeting, September 18, 2015
Meeting called by: Paige Ward
Note Taker: Senta Achée
Meeting Date Change
Visiting Artist: Julia Galloway
Nominations for the Fall 2016 Visiting Artist
Change of Date: Visiting Scholar: Mingchun Zhang Lecture
Silk-screen Demo by Charlie Cummings
– H.O.T. sale
- Raku Firing Approved!
- Throwing Demo?
Why is it Important for H.O.T. Clay to raise money?
We have a FACEBOOK page: H.O.T.Clay
We have an INSTAGRAM account: #ufhotclay
Volunteer sign up sheets for:
– Email Ailynda with Fall 2016 vessel artist nominations: email@example.com
– Coffee and Bagel Purchase/ Breakfast set up for Charlie Cummings Demo
– Clay Reclaim for Fall Sale ware
– Pop-Up-Culture Committee
(All sign-up sheets are located on the H.O.T. Clay board in the hallway)
This is the last chance to email Bridget about wood firing inquires: firstname.lastname@example.org
Next meeting: October 2nd, See you there!
Meeting Date Change: Due to Art Bash being moved to Oct. 30th, the members of H.O.T. Clay have voted to change our meeting date to Oct. 23rd.
Meeting Date Change Vote:
Motion: Eddie Second: Sabrina
Agree: 19 No: 0 Abstained: 0
Visiting Artist Julia Galloway Reminder: November 4th & 5th
The event takes place all day: First Day: Breakfast: 8:30am. Demo: 9-4pm. Potluck: 12-1pm. Lecture in the evening.
Second Day: Demo in the morning. Artist studio visits and critiques are in the afternoon.
The official schedule will be posted closer to date. Specifics will be determined at our next meeting.
Nominations for the Fall 2016 Visiting Artist:
- This is for the Vessel Artist nomination
- Suggestions due October 14th
- Voting will take place on October 16th
- Ailynda will collect the nominations: email@example.com
- How is it done?
- You may nominate up to three artists. Be sure to include up to three images of their work in your email submission.
- Be prepared to defend your submission. You must present your submissions in front of the members.
- Think about artists who are already established in the ceramic/art community.
- Some things to consider: Does this artist usually give workshops? Consider their studio practice, gender, and age.
– It is important to consider bringing in artists that are at different stages within their careers. It is helpful if you have some inside information on how well the artists present at workshops and how giving they are during these workshops. Consider what you expect in exchange for our compensation.
– If your artist is chosen you will be the liason for that artist!
Visiting Scholar Lecture: The lecture has been moved to Spring 2016.
- Mingchun Zhang – Jingdezhen Ceramics Institute in China. Specializes in 3D printing, working in room B10, say hello!
Charlie Cummings Visiting Artist, Silk Screen Demo:
Charlie Cummings received his MFA from the University of Florida. During his tenure there, he developed a technique using silk-screens to put images with under glaze color onto wet tile.
- Date: October 16th, 9-11am
- Coffee and Bagels will be provided
- This event is open to the public
- Volunteer sign-up sheets to purchase coffee and bagels/ breakfast set-up are located in the hallway
Providing coffee and bagels vote:
Yes: 17 No: 0 Abstained: 2
Charlie Cummings is the owner of the Charlie Cummings gallery located at: 2040 NW 6th St., Gainesville, FL 32609 – They are currently preparing for the opening of Cup: The Intimate Object XI where over 1000 cups are available for purchase! The opening is on October 2nd.
Art Bash: Change of Date: October 30th! 5-8pm
H.O.T. sale at Art Bash
- Sign-up sheets will soon be available on the H.O.T. Clay board located in the hallway.
- If you sign-up you must be present during sale, set-up, and break-down.
- Everyone is free to participate.
- 50% of profits go to H.O.T. Clay, the other 50% goes to artist.
- Art Bash is open to the public!
- System of labeling and specifics of sale will be discussed closer to Art Bash date.
- Promotional material for our Fall Sale should be considered:
- Signage about our personal H.O.T. Clay sale: where, when, what it is all about, where the money goes and how it provides sponsorships/helps us with funding, etc.
- Volunteer for making sign/handbill/poster will be determined at next meeting.
- RAKU firing has been APPROVED! Details will be presented at nest meeting.
- Throwing Demo: Is anyone interested in volunteering? It would require individuals to sign-up in shifts.
- We can reclaim clay to use for throwing.
Throwing Demo Vote:
Motion: Bridget Second: Senta
Yes: 18 No: 0 Abstained: 1
- We need lights! Good lights! Last year and previous years, we’ve had very poor lighting. Is there an opportunity for us to bring up this issue to the appropriate correspondent? Can we rent lights? We need to find out what the school will be providing for us.
- We have decided that reclaimed clay will be provided to all participants willing to make work for the sale on their own time.
- Terracotta reclaim will be provided
- Clay will be available from October 12th – 26th or until it runs out
- If reclaimed clay is not used it can be claimed by the people who reclaimed it.
- Reclaim sign-up sheet located in hallway
Make-A-Thon Cancelation Vote:
Motion: Bridget Second: Eddie
Yes: 18 No: 0 Abstaining: 1
Why is it important to for H.O.T. Clay to raise money?
- This is how we get to NCECA
- Visiting Artist fund
- It gives us a voice within the student body and other organizations on campus
- It gives us freedom to make decisions that are best for our community.
- Extra resources!
Pop-Up-Culture: Wednesday, October 14th, 10am-2pm
- This is a great opportunity to do any type of interesting or creative activity.
- This event is a good platform to gather information and responses towards your work!
- If you are interested please register as a committee. Sign-up sheet is available on the H.O.T. Clay board in the hallway.
- Register by October 2nd.
- This could be a good opportunity to promote our Fall Sale!
- Throwing and Hand-building is an option and could be used as an opportunity to make things for our Fall Sale.
- Check a mug out for a week
- Mug submissions: email Bridget
- 19 mugs total as of now
- Special Collection for library
- Tell your friends and family!
Door prize goes to: Ariel!